Previewing the Draft: Tyler Seguin

TORONTO,CANADA - MAY 28: Tyler Seguin of the Plymouth Whalers works out on the first day of the 2010 NHL Combine event at the Weston Bristol Place on May 28, 2010 in Toronto, Canada. (Photo by Claus Andersen/NHLI via Getty Images)

Name: Tyler Seguin

Position: Center

Height: 6-1

Weight: 186 lbs

Age: 18

Home Country: Canada

Playing In: Ontario Hockey League (Juniors)

Join me after the jump for scouting reports......

Scouting Reports

Rangers Tribune: Taylor - Tyler, Tyler - Taylor. From now until the NHL Entry Draft in June, you will see these two youngsters continually compared, as you may have noticed already. Tyler Seguin is not the same type of player that Hall is, therefore they will contrast more than they compare. Seguin is more of your rounded forward, like Matt Duchene, who went third overall in the 2009 Draft to the Colorado Avalanche. He has great defensive awareness, but at the same token, can also find the back of the net. Usually, those are the type of players you like up the middle on your first or second offensive line.

He certainly is not going to be as creative as Hall and probably will not rack up the points like him either, but I could see Seguin becoming a solid 30-goal scorer nonetheless. He can be used on the penalty kill and on the powerplay, which will be beneficial to the club that selects him.

Hockey's Future: In 63 games for the Whalers, Seguin scored 48 goals and chipped in 58 assists for 106 points, tying him for the first overall in OHL scoring with Taylor Hall. In 9 playoff games, Seguin scored 5 goals and added 5 assists for 10 points. Seguin won the Red Tilson Trophy as the OHL's Most Outstanding Player. He played for Team Orr at the 2010 CHL Top Prospects Game, and also played in the Canada-Russia Challenge and the OHL All-Star Game. Read More...

My NHL Draft: Tyler Seguin has come on strong and shot up the draft rankings since joining the Plymouth Whalers for the 2008-2009 season. He has become Taylor Hall’s toughest competition for the #1 spot overal.

Seguin, a pure center, excels in all three zones, and has shown dominance in all areas through his career in the OHL. His high-end playmaking ability and vision compliment his natural abilities as a center, but he has demonstrated, especially this season, a keen ability to put the puck in the net. Seguin has not played on as strong a team as many of the other projected top picks, so, his ability to make others around him better has been even more evident. For example, it is commonplace in Plymouth to see Seguin make the perfect pass to a teammate waiting on the doorstep of the goal. To put it lightly Seguin is as smart as they come in this year’s draft. Read More...

The Hockey News: It was Seguin's 48 goals compared to Hall's 40 that game the Whaler the OHL scoring title, though Seguin is seen as the more rounded, but far less dynamic player. "If you're looking for a complete player whose game you'll be able to count on right at both ends of the rink, he's your guy," one scout said. "He might not be as dynamic as the other guy [Hall], but he might be a more thorough pro.

One knock against Seguin was in head-to-head competition against Hall, scouts thought Hall turned his game up a notch while Seguin faltered. But that has something to do with the fact  that, for the most part, Hall was surrounded by better players. (Read more in THN Draft Preview 2010 edition)

Projected to be Drafted: 1st or 2nd overall