FanPost

Bartender, make it a double!

I've made it pretty clear around various posts that targetting RFA's is not worth the compensation it will cost, given the nature of this team.   Nonetheless, the following idea piqued my interest, as our Rangers are specifically named as a team that could take advantage of a certain brand of RFA offer sheet shenanigans, namely double targetting a single team and making them choose.

Dallas Stars

Nicklas Grossman ($1,000,000)
James Neal ($800,000)

Neal gets the headlines because he's become a legitimate power forward in a very short amount of time.  Grossman is overlooked and underrated, but like Marc Staal, he's handling tough minutes and doing it well.  The New York Rangers would be an ideal destination for either one of these guys, and both Neal and Grossman are worth something near the upper-bound of each salary range.

Neal especially is a guy that would pay instant dividends, as he's young and a solid 20 goal scorer, while adding the proverbial sandpaper that fans so desperately covet.

Of course it's not all peaches and sunshine, as we're also on the other end of the spectrum, as a target ourselves:

New York Rangers

Dan Girardi ($1,600,000)
Marc Staal ($800,000)

Staal has become the Rangers go-to defenseman in any and all matchups.  Even though he's young, his qualcomp is that of a veteran and he is a very steady presence for the Rangers.  Girardi was Tom Renney's pet project, but has grown into a very reliable second-pairing defenseman.  Stall immediately provides value at $3,750,000 - $4,000,000 and on a long-term deal and Girardi should be of value in the $2,750,000 - $3,000,000 range.  Both the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Los Angeles Kings seem like a natural fit for an offer like this.

You can read the full article here.

If nothing else, it's an interesting concept, where teams have virtual no-brainers when handling one guy, especially a guy like Neal, or Staal, but it becomes more difficult for the matching team when they have multiple guys to deal with.  (Though of course many will say you can let Girardi walk for all they care, at least we'd have something to show for it)

Have at it.