FanPost

Why does there have to be a "Next Callahan"?

I wanted to just start this post off by saying this is merely a response to the title of this great piece.  I really enjoyed the article (as I enjoy tracking our prospects) and am not trying to bash it in anyway.  The title did get me thinking though why does this team need another Ryan Callahan

Before I start I just wanted to say this piece will have nothing to do with Wade Redden nor any screwed up premonitions/dreams that stood with me for some reason.

Back to the original topic.  After cracking the big club for 14 games in 2006-07 Ryan Callahan has been a staple in the New York Rangers ever since.  His best season came in 2008-09 where he scored 22 goals and 40 points, which were all career highs.  In 2009-10 Cally became an Alternate captain and scored 19 goals, yet in 4 less games than his 22 goal campaign.  He has quickly emerged as a fan favorite because of his grittier style of play, which has helped the Rangers forecheck considerably.  He has been described as "blue-collar" and an everyman's players by some, and has earned praises from the organization culminating with becoming an Alternate captain.

This is where I have to ask the title's question: why does there have to be a "next Callahan?"  I'm not trying to knock the man, but why aren't the questions who is the next Marian Gaborik? and who is the next star on this team?  Again I really want to reiterate that this isn't trying to knock Ryan, but to question the expectations on some of our prospects.  On a team starved for offense I just wonder why there's no articles about how Grachev still has the potential to be a top 6 scoring threat, or how Anisimov is fitting nicely in the organization and should get more icetime next year?

I guess what I am trying to say is that the Rangers need offense and we need it bad.  I love homegrown players like Cally, and love the skillset they bring to the table, but do we really need more of the hardworking 20 goal types, or do we need the flashy scorers that could help kickstart a seemingly anemic offense?  Let's face it this organization backed itself into a corner and the only way we can acquire players is through promoting from withing, so why don't we "reach for the stars because if you fail you land on a cloud" (yes I included a Kanye reference here, but does that really matter?)

Maybe I'm just rambling right now, and maybe I'm finally starting to lose faith in an organization I hate watching slowly fail more and more.  I just feel that we need to have some faith in the guys and hope for the best with them.  If they fail then so be it, but we put ourselves in this position, so why not ask "who's the next Gaborik?" instead of "who's the next Callahan?" because these are the guys we'll need to rely on for some offense when the next big free agent is another bust.

I'll end with something we all can agree on: I sure as hell hope we don't screw up this draft.  We need to somehow just not get "Jessiman'd."