Rangers News: Rangers Lose Shelley, Sign Boogaard

After a bit of a contract dispute with the Rangers, enforcer Jody Shelley has decided to sign with rival Philadelphia Flyers according to Bob McKenzie of TSN. The deal is for three years at $1.1 million per, which is basically matching Colton Orr's deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs last summer. In my opinion, it is a big mistake letting Shelley go and I feel that Sather should have dealt out the money to Shelley, and you will understand why after I tell you the following signing the Blueshirts have made.

In order to replace Shelley, and Brashear I guess, GM Glen Sather has signed 6-foot-8, 257 pound bruiser Derek Boogaard for 4 years at $1.65 million per. This is Donald Brashear all over again but even worse. Boogaard has recorded just 14 total points over the course of five seasons in the National Hockey League and has not scored a goal in the last four years. So now Sather has made one of the best signings of the day (Biron) as well as the worst (Boogaard) in the matter of three hours.

The only thing "Boogy" brings to the table is size, strength, and fists (105 PIMs last season with Minnesota). He has absolutely no offense, he cannot skate, and not much hockey sense whatsoever. Do not get me wrong, Boogard is one of the top enforcers out there, but for $1.65 million he will just be wasting cap room.

More importantly, I would now like to see Slats re-sign Prust, Staal, Girardi, and Prospal after coughing up close to $2 million to a fighter. Once again, the Blueshirts become the joke of July 1st in the NHL because of that signing.

Anyway, the rumor that had the Rangers and Flames making a deal has been swirling around, but when I asked NYR beat writer Andrew Gross about it, he said there is "nothing worth reporting". So I think we have put that rumor to rest.

Derek Boogaard

Minnesota Wild

6-8

257