FanPost

Why does anyone want to wait for next years UFA's?

Who is better than Kovalchuk? M. Koivo just got a 7yr extension. (There was talk that we should persue him next offseason...not happening) Someone put up a list of next years class and I remember thinking that it was not that impressive. And besides we are going to try to re sign Dubi and Cally long term so realistically......who else would be available? Gotta figure McD, Staal, Gilroy, Girardi, Del Z are 5 of the 7 D men. Redden will not have been spoken of for months since hes exiled in siberia, I think Rozi 's contract is up after this season? He'll be traded likely. Two more young guys come up? What UFA D men are out there?

Regarding Offense Gabby, Drury, Dubi, Cally(who both must be signed), Avery, MZA, AA, Prust, Booger, some combo or all of Stephan, Kreider, Grachev? What UFA is out there that could be added to make this team better than if Kovalchuk was picked up now? Because I don't think anyone. I dont want the Rangers to go after any older than 29 or 30 offensive player this season. Brad Richards, Demitra(who went to the KHL today), Mike Richards, Gagne? If we sign Kovalchuk and he scored 45 goals.....does anyone really put any extra emphasis on resigning dubinsky....like it is an absolute important thing? He will never be a 30 goal scorer, so doesn't that make it less important if you get the big gun now? And before you say its never going to happen, remember who is in charge of this team, it very well may happen.