Blueshirts By the Numbers: Number 3-Harry Howell

via www.legendsofhockey.net

So we've come to the first tough decision in choosing the Greatest Ranger players by jersey number. At Number 3, the Rangers have two great defensemen in their history that had long careers with the Blueshirts. In the end, we chose the player whose number hangs from the Madison Square Garden rafters, Harry Howell.

Harry spent seventeen years with the Rangers, beginning in 1952, scoring 82 goals and registering 263 assists. Although not known for his scoring, ironically Harry scored on his very first NHL shift. Howell was named an NHL All-Star six times as a Ranger, and was awarded the last Pre-expansion Era Norris Trophy. Upon winning the trophy, Howell remarked, "I'm glad I won it this year, because Bobby Orr will probably win all of them from here on out"

"Harry the Horse", as he was nicknamed, was amazingly durable during his Ranger tenure, missing only seventeen games in his first sixteen seasons.

When he was 22, Harry became the youngest Captain of the Rangers at the time, but resigned the captaincy two seasons later after a couple of down years, preferring to concentrate on improving his play.

Harry was honored on January 25th, 1967 when the Rangers held "Harry Howell Night", and again in February of 2009 when the Rangers retired his Number 3.

Honorable Mentions: James Patrick, Ching Johnson.