FanPost

Who exactly is Dale Weise?

Weise_d_0622_ins1_medium

via cdn.nhl.com

Several contributors here at Blueshirt Banter have begun to post an analysis of the Rangers players, their progression and what the future may hold for those players. Here is a look at Dale Weise. A player not on the collective tongue tip of many Ranger fans, but still an interesting young player worth delving into.

Dale Weise Right Wing

Born Aug 5 1988 -- Winnipeg, MAN
Height 6.02 -- Weight 206 -- Shoots R

Dale Weise was drafted by the New York Rangers in 2008 in the 4th round, #111 overall out of Swift Current of the Western Hockey League. Weise is a big kid, standing 6'2 at present and has the perfect, projectable frame for a right handed winger of his age. Dale has two full season of pro hockey under his belt where he served as depth scoring and a solid checker for the Hartford Wolfpack. Weise has intangibles, like many of the young Ranger forwards, he brings good skating, solid work ethic and a chippyness to his game that makes him a strong prospect.

As the Rangers off-season unfolds one can argue that the Rangers need more right wings. The Rangers currently have two right wings under contract that are expected to be on the team opening night, Marian Gaborik and Ryan Callahan. The wild cards of course being Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, Dale Weise and newcomer Jeremy Williams.

It looks pretty good that considering Zuccarello-Aasen can play both sides of the center, that Weise will get a long look in camp. He has a little bit of everything in his game, and it's nice to see that the Rangers can add size like his to the lineup on any given night. Weise would be a size advantage for the Rangers considering Callahan at 5'11 Zuccarello-Aasen 5'7" are vertically challenged.

Weise was drafted as a grinder and a potential agitator down the road, but the Winnipeg born Weise has transformed into a much more rounded hockey player. Thanks to excellent development in Hartford and very strong work ethic (he works out 6 days a week), Dale Weise has a chance to become a Ranger, and I for one hope the 22 year old can step up his game and claim a roster spot.