FanPost

Blake Wheeler anyone?

I don't know if anyone discussed this before I joined Banter, but would anyone be interested in seeing Blake Wheeler come to NYR? I feel like the forward lines in Boston are a tad overstacked, especially if you assume Tyler Seguin makes the opening roster and Blake might be available. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe their lines current will look something like this (assuming Savard is not traded and Ryder is not dumped/traded):

Lucic-Savard-Horton

Sturm-Bergeron-Ryder

Paille-Krejci-Recchi ( Mark was still great in the playoffs for them, can't see him playing 4th line)

Begin-Campbell / Seguin-Wheeler

The 6'-5" 205 lb 23 yr old Wheeler put up 18 goals and 38 pts last season and 21 goals and 45 pts 2 years ago, does Boston really expect this kid to be happy playing on the 4th line for another year? I just feel like Boston has a bit of a logjam of quality forwards and perhaps we could snatch him for the right trade value (maybe a pick and minor leaguer?) if they have to shed some salary, especially since he filed for arbitration and might walk if Boston doesn't approve of the arbitration price (capgeek.com says he's worth $2.8 mil as a RFA). Assuming of course Sather resigns Staal as priority #1 right now, I still think we can use more secondary scoring and size, and I think Wheeler could be a great addition (can play RW or LW) to any line we have now. Even though he kinda took his spot, I realize Recchi will probably retire after this season if his production finally drops off, so maybe Wheeler will end up sticking around anyway, just thought it'd be a legit possibility to grab him for the right value. What do you guys think? Am I totally off or maybe onto something?