FanPost

Potter signed with the Penguins.

Penguins Sign Defenseman Potter Friday, 07.16.2010 / 1:15 PM / News Pittsburgh Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed defenseman Corey Potter to a one-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The deal is for the 2010-11 season and is a two-way contract that will pay Potter $500,000 at the NHL level.

Potter, 26, has played in eight career NHL games with the New York Rangers, recording two points (1G-1A).

Potter, who was drafted by the Rangers in the fourth round (122nd overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, has played the majority of his career with New York’s top-minor league affiliate, the Hartford Wolfpack of the American Hockey League.

In 246 games with Hartford, Potter has posted 21 goals, 81 assists and 102 points. The 6-foot-2, 195-pound blueliner added 10 points (2G-8A) in 18 postseason contests with the Wolfpack.

The Lansing, Michigan native played four collegiate seasons at Michigan State University. In 150 career games, Potter recorded 44 points (8G-36A). As a senior, he set career highs across the board in games played (45), goals (t-4), assists (18) and points (22).

Potter played two years for the United States National Development Team from 2000-02. He was a member of Team U.S.A.’s first-ever World Under-18 Championship gold-medal winning team in 2002, and also won a gold medal in the 2004 World Junior Championships with Team U.S.A.

Didnt even see this. Thought he was a RFA.

SB Nation Featured Video