FanPost

Taking a 2 year low cost gamble till drury is gone?

I am new here and this will be pretty short but its been rolling around in my mind for a few days now...

Since we are in a crunch for cap space and have some large salaries that have to go before we can honestly build a cup contending team, there might be an easier way to ease the disatisfaction of the next few years. Why not try and take a gamble on a younger player by throwing out some low risk offer sheets for a two year contract.

If Redden does get sent down and that cap space becomes available it would be foolish to put a ton of money into trying to grab Richards or that Dimetra rumor that I read about earlier. There arnt any big name ufa's left but there are still a few good rfa's that havent been signed yet. Assuming that we have a bit more breathing room in the salary cap an offer sheet could be given out to a center with "potential" that could turn out to be a really good investment.

Two names are coming to my mind as people with potential. Thomas Fleischmann and Sam Gagner. With Redden's salary hit gone and the remaining salary room the Rangers have left we could sign Staal for what he wants and throw out a decent offer in the 2.5-3 mil range, for a 5-6 mil two year contract for either of those players.

It is a bit of a long shot and a gamble but honestly until we can send Drury off respectfully the cap constrictions are keeping us out of contention. To sign another old player with an over inflated salary that will live past Drury's contract would be redundant. I figure that if the Rangers could land one of those "potential" top 6 centers for a decent price over the next two years and they end up doing well then we could get pretty far in the playoffs. After the Drury cap space is cleared then the Rangers have that cap room and have the option to dump the "potential center" if they dont work out in order to land some contracts that could make the Rangers a real contending team for cup.