FanPost

Thoughts On How To Fix Contracts In The Next CBA

This whole Illya Kovalchuck debacle is absurd. While everyone knows they don't expect Kovie "in good faith" to play well into his forties at the league minimum, the NHL can't wholly expect to prove otherwise. Therefore, the loophole has been found, and this sort of salary cap avoidance will be accepted.I'm willing to bet the deal goes through, and at the ripe age of 37 he "retires" and heads to the KHL.

I propose a change (or fix) which is pretty simple. During the next CBA they should set maximum salary deviations from a player's cap hit. For instance, if that number were 25% and a player's cap hit was 4 million, at no point throughout the life of the contract would this player's salary go below 3 million or above 5. Enough of these front loaded garbage contracts, they undermine the purpose of the salary cap in the first place. I, personally, hate the salary cap, but if you're going to have one, do it right.