FanPost

Possible NHL rule changes?

Yola,

I just read an article on the NHL website in which it is said that administration will try to implement a few new rules in the game. They will test them out for two days in a series of scrimmages taking place on August 18th and 19th.  Some of the more interesting changes were the new overtime format :

Overtime will proceed from 4-on-4 to 3-on-3 to 2-on-2 to a shootout. [...] And for overtime, teams will switch ends, requiring the longer second-period line change that often results in odd-man rushes and goals.

And the new anatomy of the ice markings:

The Wednesday afternoon scrimmage will focus upon the effect of changing the markings on the ice. A bigger crease, wider blue lines, painted line-change zones in front of each bench, face-off dots down the middle of the ice and a second "verification goal line" behind the goal line will be among the visual changes.

Even If these rules don't work out, at least we have a chance to watch the 40 best prospects coming up in this year's draft. The original article is here if you want it. I highly recommend you go check it out.