FanPost

Is Sather Actually Thinking Long-Term?

The more I think about the offseason moves Sather has made, the more I think that he might be setting up the team for the future.  In conversations with the scouting and coaching staff, he must have come to realize that a lot of players won't be ready for big time contributions this year and didn't want them to go through the growing pains that Artem Anisimov, Matt Gilroy, and even Michael Del Zotto went through this past year.

So, he found relatively cheap veterans to be used as stop gaps until reinforcements are ready:  Vaclav Prospal, Alexander Frolov, Erik Christensen, Steve Eminger, and Todd White, namely.

Also, it finally looks like Wade Redden will be sent to Hartford, if and when Marc Staal finally signs.

Three of the four will be UFAs next year and there money can be used to re-sign Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Gilroy.  Also, to replace Prospal, Frolov, White, and Eminger the kids can get a chance: The Hobbit (Frolov), Grachev (Prospal), Stepan (White), and McDonagh (Eminger).

In 2012-2013, our dreams come true as Chris Drury and Michal Rozsival, plus Sean Avery and Christensen, come off the books making room for Kreider (Christensen), Weise (Avery), McIlwraith (Roszival), and a FA checking center  (Drury), perhaps even Drury on a reasonable 35+ contract.  Also, re-sign Brandon Prust.  And hopefully, Messier has taken the reigns by now as well.

Just some thoughts here, but I wouldn't be upset if this is what is going on.

Other thoughts?