Blueshirts By the Numbers: Number 15: Anders Hedberg

Anders Hedberg

Another personal favorite of mine today at Number 15. Anders Hedberg and Ulf Nillson came to the Rangers together in June of 1978 after bolting from the Winnipeg Jets of the World Hockey Association. Hedberg was a 70 goal scorer in the WHA, playing with Bobby Hull, and was really the first true European superstar the Rangers ever had.

Hedberg was a key player on the Rangers from the get-go, scoring 78 points his first season on Broadway, and adding nine points in the Rangers great run to the 1979 Stanley Cup Finals, including the game-winner in Game Five of that great Semi-Final round against the Islanders.  That goal shifted the momentum in the series, which the Rangers won in six games.

Hedberg had a solid seven year career with the Rangers, only scoring less than 20 goals once, in 1981-82 when he missed almost the entire season due to injury.

Anders won many Ranger team awards, including the Rangers team MVP, and the "Good Guy" award in 1979-80. In his final season he was named to the NHL All Star game, and awarded the Bill Masterton Trophy for sportsmanship.

"100 Ranger Greats" ranks Anders 36th on the list of all time Rangers.