Blueshirts By the Numbers: Number 16: Mark Pavelich

Mark Pavelich

Initially undrafted by the NHL, Mark Pavelich found himself playing in Switzerland after helping the USA Hockey team capture the gold medal in 1980.

When the architects of that team, Craig Patrick and Herb Brooks were brought on to run the Rangers, Pavelich was brought to New York and was an immediate sensation on Broadway, setting the team record for points by a rookie (78).

Previously ignored because of his small size, Pavelich excelled with the Rangers, as part of the "Smurfs" that Brooks employed which helped the Rangers knock the bigger Flyers out of the playoffs in 1982 and 1983. In 1983, against the Hartford Whalers, Pavelich became only the second player in Ranger history to score five goals in one game, a record he shares with Don Murdoch.

Injuries took their toll in the 84-85 and 85-86 seasons, and after a feud with then-Rangers coach Ted Sator, Pavelich was shipped off to Minnesota.

Pavelich scored 133 goals and 185 points in five seasons with the Blueshirts.

Honorable Mentions at 16: Rod Seiling, Alf Pike

I know the picture on the story is not the most flattering of Pavelich, but I used it because it also has our buddy "Kotsy" Chris Kotsopolous from his days with the Whalers, wearing the infamous pants.