Blueshirts By the Numbers: Honorable Mention at Number 9: Andy Bathgate

Andy Bathgate

Like many of the names we've already selected on this list, Andy Bathgate served as Ranger Captain. He was also one of the few Rangers to win the Hart Trophy, and played in eight All-Star games.

From Joe Pelletier's Hockey Legends:

Andy Bathgate is one of the NHL's greatest players ever to grace a sheet of NHL ice, yet it is amazing that he even played hockey after suffering a horrific injury in juniors.

In 1951, while playing with the Guelph Juniors, he received a check that severely damaged his left knee. A steel plate was fixed beneath the kneecap yet it plagued him throughout his career. Despite this, he missed only five games in more than eleven seasons with the New York Rangers.

Even though this undoubtedly limited Bathgate's play, his immense talent prevailed. Bathgate was named twice to the NHL's first and twice to the second All-Star teams. He undoubtedly would have made it more times except that his principal rivals were Gordie Howe, Boom Geoffrion and Maurice Richard.

Bathgate is also part of hockey history, as he fired the shot that broke Jacques Plante's face open, forcing him to return to the locker room and return to the ice wearing a goalie mask.

In February 2009, Bathgate was honored along with Harry Howell when the Rangers retired their numbers.