FanPost

What can we get for Staal

If (and this is a very small if) we aren't able to sign Staal, what could we get for him?

I'm pretty sure Sather would match any offer sheets up to about 6.5mil, which would get us two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd in compensation.  I'd gladly take that for Staal, because Gordie can bring us alot of talent with that.  It also means we could trade up and get a high pick without having to tank.  Two mid level picks could be swapped for a top 10, maybe even a top 5.

If the two parties can't settle on anything, we would have to trade him.  While it would be nice to have a player like Neal or Ryan, I'd much rather go for even younger talent.  The Isles have many prospects that I'd want, but there is no way we trade our star D-man to a divisional rival.  The Caps would likely take him and pair him with Green, an unstoppable combination, but the Caps have no one of value besides Carlson for us to take back.  Not to mention their draft picks are going to be pretty bad for the next few years.

Any ideas on who we could go for? And please don't start fussing about how we couldn't possibly not sign Staal, even less trade him away.  Every player has a price.