Blueshirts By the Numbers: Number 22: Mike Gartner

Mike Gartner

Mike Gartner made an immediate impact after being traded to the Rangers from the Minnesota North Stars for Ulf Dahlen, scoring two goals in his first game. It was the beginning of a great four year run on Broadway for Gartner, maybe the best skater the Rangers have ever had.

Gartner learned to speed skate as a child before he learned how to play hockey, and it served him well throughout his NHL career, racking up three wins in the NHL Fastest Skater competition.  Gartner also shares the record for most goals in an All-Star game with 4, in 1993.

Mike reached some amazing milestones during his time with the Rangers, scoring his 500th and 600th goal, and 1000th point all on Broadway. He would score his 700th goal later in his career with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Gartner made the post season three times while with the Rangers, scoring twenty six points in twenty nine games. His Ranger career came to an end on March 21st, 1994 when he was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Glenn Anderson.

Lastly, the guy had one of the coolest mustaches you will ever see.

Major Honorable Mention at 22: Nick Fotiu