FanPost

Somebody Tell Joe that Biron Was NOT the Biggest Offseason Aquisition

Just read the article over at from the rink, where they predict us last in the atlantic.  Included in the preview is a blurb by Joe talking about how Marty Biron is undoubtedly the Rangers biggest upgrade of the offseason.  Seriously?  Cmon now.  Did you see his stats last year?  Do you realize the minimal difference in talent level and thus production between two nhl caliber backup goalies over the small sample size of 15 to 20 games?  Assuming 25 shots over 20 games (i doubt biron even plays that many) and assuming biron will have a fantastic year, with a save percentage .5% higher than the average NHL caliber backup.  That alone is a stretch considering biron can easily be just average, or even worse than the average backup, especially if last year is any indicator.  But even assuming this, they would only be saving 2-3 goals over this stretch.  In other words prorated over about 80 games it would save about .03 goals a game.  .03!  That would mean you would need close to 40 games for that one goal to be realized.

If he is our biggest upgrade, we are in bigggg trouble, and have not done nearly enough this offseason.  Not even close.

Disclaimer:  All math done quickly in my head so errors could be made, and there was obviously some estimating, but i think it should be pretty accurate