FanPost

New NHL Rules Video

The NHL just posted a video to their website that goes over the new penalty rules that will be enforced this year.  Some of the new rules address hits to the head, checking during icings, and rules of engagement.  It can be seen here:

NHL Rules Video

I think the NHL and NHLPA did a great job coming together on hits to the head.  I've heard some people say penalizing those hits are making the sport less manly.  But I think those people are just fans of the violence of the game.  Most hits to the head are totally unnecessary and can be avoided.  The video does a great job demonstrating what is a legal vs. illegal hit.  In essence, they are saying that hits from the side and straight to the head are what refs will be targeting as penalties.  Hits that are north-south are up to the puck carrier to avoid.

The part that gets a little dicey is with the icing touch-ups.  They say there should be no contact on a clear icing call.  But what if two players are in a race?  Contact is going to be made.  We will have to see how those are called when the season comes.

Enjoy the video!