FanPost

Tonight's Lines and Thoughts on Potential Cuts after Game

Coming off yesterday's cuts is was presumed that the next cuts would come following the Detroit game tomorrow, but from the reporting this morning it seems at least some more cuts will come after tonight's game.  There is no official speculation on how many cuts will be made, but let's look at the roster for tonight and do what we do in speculating on who it might be that gets the pink slip before tomorrow, other than obviously Redden.

Roster:

Forward Lines:

The defense pairings are:

Things that jump out at me at least initially is that Aves is playing 3rd line with kennedy who is a borderline guy and Williams who is a longshot instead of maybe being with AA and Grachev.  The only other forward decision that is interesting is Torts showing Fedetenko even though he was awful the other night is going to get every chance to make this club playing on tonight's first line.  Todd White is obviously feeling some pressure for his spot that he was said to be begging trainers to let him play tonight when he wasnt supposed to suit up before tomorrow.

On the defensive side the pairings are interesting to me, but at the same time make sense because Eminger if he makes this club will make it as a veteran more than anything else, Exelby would be a banger to play with a more offensive guy and Semenov-Valentenko played together in Russia last year so there is familiarity.  Only real interesting thing if these rosters are right is that they didnt cut Brandon Manning yesterday yet he still isnt playing today after not playing the other night.

I would expect that there wont be a huge amount of cuts after tonight's game, but b/w tonight and tomorrow we will probably cut at least 10 guys to get down to somewhere b/w 24-27 if not less.  the "obvious" guys to go tonight if they dont show a lot would be Williams, Newbury, Byers, Weise and i think Exelby which along with Redden would get us to 32.  If Fedetenko is as bad as he was the other night he should go, but im not sure they are going to pull the plug on him until late.

Last note that wont be popular around here but does anyone else have a feeling that Aves is a lot closer to the borderline of making the club than a lot would believe him to be?