Fedotenko Bids For Roster Spot as Rangers Clip Devils 5-4 in Overtime

Ilya Kovalchuk of the Devils bravely takes on Sean Avery of the Rangers. While the ref is holding Avery down naturally.

Let's face it, after the Rangers placed Wade Redden on waivers, anything that happened in tonight's game was pure gravy. Good thing, because despite the Rangers winning in overtime 5-4, this was a pretty ugly game as far as the Blueshirts are concerned.

There were few standout performances tonight from the "B" team, but the biggest one came from Ruslan Fedotenko, who made a bid to stay on the roster with a three point night, including the tying goal with seven minutes remaining in regulation.

Fedetenko assisted on Ryan Callahan's goal in the first period with some terrific work along the boards. He would then add an assist when Matt Gilroy, also considered on the bubble for a roster spot, scored just a minute into the third period.

Michael Del Zotto overcame a positively awful first period by scoring the game-winner for the Rangers just fifty-two seconds into OT with the Rangers on the power play. The Rangers were outstanding with the man advantage, capitalizing four times on five opportunities.

Artem Anisimov had the other goal for the Rangers.

Andy Greene, Ilya Kovalchuk, Matt Taormina, and Brian Rolston were the Devils goal scorers.

Final Thoughts:

  • Garnet Exelby did nothing to solidify a roster spot, and may have sealed his fate when he took a bad penalty late in the second period with the Rangers already killing off a long power play.
  • Avery and Clarkson get into it in the second period, Avery didn't drop his gloves. As Avery skates off the ice, he gets into it with Kovalchuck, who threw punches at Avery while the ref held Sean down on the ice.
  • I thought the Rangers played the emotionless hockey we saw far too much of last year. I know it is only the second preseason game, but it concerns me. Still, credit them for winning a game they were outplayed in, and for not giving up.
  • Henrik Lundqvist has had better nights, although having the "B" team in front of him didn't help much. Still, I think you could say Hank gave up at least two bad goals.
  • Announced attendance: 13,821.....not by a long shot.
  • Hearing the Ranger fans in attendance sing "The Goal Song" when the Rangers scored was awesome.
  • Rangers score five goals on Johan Hedberg, has that ever happened before?
  • Chico Resch is an awful announcer.
  • Did like what I saw from Pavel Valentenko and Alexei Semenov. They were definitely the Rangers best defensemen tonight.
  • What did you guys think about Avery not dropping the gloves with Clarkson, but then ditching them a minute later with Kovalchuk? By the way, Ilya, great job of wailing on Avery while the referee is holding Avery down on the ice.....what courage.