3) If Sather believes this is a Cup team, they have the salary cap space to either go after Brad Richards or perhaps look for a power play specialist. If Del Zotto doesn't come back humble and sharp, something in my gut thinks perhaps he would look at Sergei Gonchar, who is really struggling in Ottawa.
It is a great deal from a salary cap perspective. Suddenly they have a ton of cap space. Some initial thoughts.
1) I know Roszival drove all of us nuts, but it will be strange for him to not be part of the mix. The guy was the longest tenured Ranger (Lundqvist was on the bench opening night) and he had a part in turning the franchise around. He was a flawed player, never a star, but over his full body of work with the Rangers he was a huge upgrade over the pre-lockout Ranger veteran D (Karen Hatcher, Schnieder, Chateau Malakhov, Quintal, Lefebvre, Karpa, Poti, and the list goes on.) Best of luck to him.
2) They are clearly very happy with McDonagh, Sauer, Emminger, and Gilroy and they must think that Del Zotto will be back sooner than later (or VTank?)
4) Rib injury my fat ass. If he was hurt, Phoenix wouldn't do this deal. They are ADDING salary. It makes no sense.
5) If #3 isn't going to happen, we better hear that Dubinsky got an extension before the All-Star break.
6) If Wolski can play Alex Frolov better than Alex Frolov, this deal is a win win. There is no long term explanation for why Phoenix would do this deal money-wise.