Rangers News: Henrik Lundqvist And Marc Staal Named To All Star Team

Some good news on the Rangers front, Henrik Lundqvist and Marc Staal have been named to the 2011 NHL All Star team.

Rookie Derek Stepan was named to rookie skills competition team.

Brandon Dubinsky is an obvious omission here, and it's unfortunate because he's having a career season. Dubinsky's 36 points (16 goals and 20 assists) are just eight points of his career high 44 points, with just about half the season remaining. He is also only four goals away from tying his career high of 20. Still, no need to focus on this too much, there really wasn't anything Rangers fans could have done.

Still, you have to be happy for Lundqvist and Staal; both who are very deserving. For Lundqvist it's his second All Star Game appearance, and for Staal it's his first. Staal has participated in the "young guns" competition twice however.

Lundqvist is 18-12-3 with a 2.33 GAA and an eye-popping .923 SV%, this season. He's a very deserving choice at keeper for sure.

Staal has six goals and 11 assists for 17 points this season, and has been his normal rock on defense. It's nice to see him get some recognition for being one of the better young defenders in the league.

For Stepan it's a fine reward for a hell of a rookie season (half season?). Stepan has 12 goals (more than Ilya Kovalchuk) and 24 points (also more than Kovalchuk) and has been a fantastic addition to the Rangers this season. His 24 points is good for second on the team, and his 12 goals is also good for third on the team. Although Marian Gaborik has 11 goals, with 14 less games played.

Thoughts guys?