Rangers Recaps: Habs End Rangers Winning Streak at Three

NEW YORK NY - JANUARY 11: Wojtek Wolski #86 of the New York Rangers warms up before playing against the Montreal Canadiens on January 11 2011 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

The Rangers season long struggle on home ice continued as the Montreal Canadiens snapped the Rangers three game winning streak with a 2-1 victory in regulation.

It's tough to win a hockey game without a forecheck and the Habs managed to stymie the majority of the Rangers offensive pressure. Brandon Dubinsky gave the Rangers the lead early in the first period on the rush courtesy of a beautiful feed by Matt Gilroy but other than that they were unable to consistintly challenge backup goaltender and one time Ranger Alex Auld. The Habs defense did an excellent job keeping the Rangers to the outside and limited their chances in the middle of the ice.

Jaroslav Spacek scored amidst a frecus late in the second period with Henrik Lundqvist sprawling on the ice to tie the game at one. From then until the last five minutes of the third period the Habs kept the Rangers on their heels and dictated the pace of the play. Benoit Pouliot gave the Habs the lead and what would eventually be the game winner as he beat Lundqvist on a bad angle shot on the rush down the boards. Lundqvist played an excellent game and had it not been for a number of big saves, the game would have been lost well before Pouliot beat him on a relatively loose goal.

Newly acquired winger Wojtek Wolski spent the majority of the game playing with Artem Anisimov and Marian Gaborik (paging Dr. Gaborik...) and all things considered he played a good game. He had the Rangers best chance to tie the game late in the third period when he rang one off the post. The jury is still out, it's never fair to judge a player on one game. Especially when he is playing with new teammates before he even has had the opportunity to practice with them. However, it's easy to see the promise in Wolski.

For all of you on the east coast, enjoy the snow.

Have at it in the comments.