FanPost

Can the Rangers make the playoffs without Gaborik?

There are several clubs in the NHL that are looking for scoring. The Rangers surely could use more consistency there, and I know trading Gaborik seems insane. Hear me out though.

The Los Angeles Kings are the perfect match for Marian Gaborik. They have plenty of room under the cap to absorb his contract and they have the young talent to send back in such a trade. The Rangers will make the playoffs with or without Gaborik in my opinion, as the Rangers will return Vinny Prospal, Ryan Callahan and Chris Drury will get better as the season moves forward. Does anyone really want to see Mats Zuccarello go back to the Whale?

The Kings have three young players in particular, Brayden Schenn, Thomas Hickey and Colten Teubert that I am really fond of. Is that a good foundation for a trade?

Take a moment to look at the Rangers lines without Gaborik, and a healthy Prospal.

Prospal / Anisimov / Callahan
Dubinsky / Stepan / Zuccarello
Fedotenko / Boyle / Prust
Avery / Drury / Weise

This lineup doesn't even include Wolski. I wonder how healthy Prospal will be this year. I think that you can slot Dubinsky OR Wolski in the top 6 and the Rangers will still be very solid.

I think the Rangers will likely keep Gaborik, but this is something that Sather should consider. Gaborik is streaky, somewhat frail and making 7.5 million for a few years. If the Rangers can dump 3 or 4 good young players to the Whale, and still remain competitive, I say do it.

Does anyone agree that this idea makes a lot of sense? The Rangers have a good system, and this trade could push them near the top in rated prospects. I think If I ran the team, based on the health of Ryan Callahan and Vinny Prospal, I make this trade.