FanPost

the Hypocrisy of Sid Crosby

Sid Crosby is a polarizing figure in today's world of hockey.  A Globe and Mail story published yesterday alleges that Crosby may sit out the All-Star Game this year as a form of protest against the NHL's policy on headshots.  While on the surface this move may seem honorable, Crosby's sudden awareness about the danger of head injuries has its origin in selfishness.  Before Crosby's own concussion he was completely silent on the issue of headshots; but now that they have affected him directly he is attempting to bring his star power to bear on this issue.  Once again Crosby is blind to the level of petulance embodied by his reaction--after all, noted headhunter Matt Cooke is his teammate, and Crosby offered no opinions on the hit itself or consolation to fellow NHL'er Marc Savard after Cooke injured Savard with a dirty hit.

Rather than talking about headshots in terms that apply to the entire league, Crosby and his mouthpiece/agent Pat Brisson have suddenly discovered how dangerous they are because....well, because Sid Crosby suffered a head injury in an accidental collision with David Steckel of the Capitals during the Winter Classic.  Their collision was deemed accidental at the moment it occurred during the game, and there was no subsequent punishment meted out to Steckel by the league's disciplinary office.  But don't tell the Whining Golden Penguin this--he wants Steckel suspended, despite the fact that Crosby's own team sent him back out on the ice with a concussion.  And that should be the real story here, that either Crosby or Bylsma decided that Sid could still play hockey while suffering from the effects of a head injury.

Like a classic pampered brat, Crosby is looking for someone else to blame for his problems, when either his coach, Crosby himself, or his team's medical staff are the ones at fault here.  And this is why Crosby is so hated by many hockey fans.  To wrap up here's a quote from Brisson--"If you accidentally hit someone on the head, you should be suspended for a game.  It makes it easier on everyone if there is a penalty and a suspension."  Got that everybody? When Sid Crosby gets a concussion, we all suffer....