FanPost

5 in 7...Defining moment or...?

We know about all the injuries (could there be more coming?), we know about slumps, we know about this next stretch of games.

What do we actually know with all this knowledge? That this could be a defining moment in this team. They have every reason to 'mail it in' the next few games. Hell, they can even try but just not be able to get it done and that would be understandable...probably expected. But what if? What if they don't do either? What if they plow through this like they plow through Toronto?

What does this tell us?

The system finally matches the players (or did the players match the system...hmmm)? Either way, CotY for Torts

That this is a team that battles? Those are always good to have!

That our system is that deep? If so, it's about to get much deeper these next few year.

What do I think?

I think they will do ok these next few games. I think they will work most periods ('most' meaning  most of the 2nd and all of the 3rd). And I also think they are all these of those above.

But, there is always a but, we are missing skill. Need just a wee bit more..ok a bit more than a 'wee'. Our matured depth, Dupont, Sauer, Weiss and McD to a certain extent, are not skilled per-say but do fit in with this system. Steph and MZA, believe it or not, have helped this team tremendously. Raw skill is still better than no skill. But the next batch (is Grachev still even included) the Werek, Krieder, Weise, etc... have game. And the Bourques and Thomas'..they got that Cally combination of some skill and a whole lota grit.

But what do I think about now?

I think I am proud and finally really excited about the direction of the team.

I also think they are 1 major player away (playmaking center...duh). If it doesn't come now (and by now I mean after the trade deadline...you hearing this Glen?) It will come once Drury is off the books...just in time to make some real noise.