Late Game Heroics Help Rangers to 2-1 Shootout Win Over Capitals

Ranger fans, it is really time to start believing in this team, because at this point, it appears there is nothing they can't overcome.

The Rangers got a tying goal from Marian Gaborik late in the game, and Artem Anisimov put the Capitals to bed with a 2-1 shootout win at the Verizon Center in Washington tonight.

A very physical start to the game very few shots on goal in the early going. Overall a boring first period, only twelve shots combined, with the Rangers getting seven of them. The teams traded lousy power plays, or if you are "half full", great penalty kills.

Matt Hendricks got the Caps on the board early in the first, a nice tip in goal that got past Martin Biron. Rangers did a remarkable job in this game defensively, giving the Caps very few good opportunities, and cutting off shooting lanes. Rangers were very responsible defensively tonight, holding the Caps to just seventeen shots on goal in regulation.

Gaborik tied the game for the Rangers with a goal that deflected in off his hand. The play was reviewed, the goal was upheld, and this gritty team that refuses to get down on itself earned its way into overtime.

After a scoreless overtime, the game went to a shootout.  After Biron stoned Alex Ovechkin, Wojtek Wolski got the Rangers on top with a beautiful move to beat Holtby, Hendricks then beat Biron to tie it, Mats Zuccarello stayed perfect to put the Rangers back ahead,  but Nicklas Backstrom tied it again. After Brian Boyle had his attempt poke-checked away by Holtby, Biron stopped Marcus Johansson, which left it up to Artem Anisimov, who beat Holtby to give the Rangers another unbelievable win.

Final Thoughts:

  • I can't say enough about the defense on this team, they were absolutely stifling tonight.
  • Love seeing the Rangers win in Washington, which for my money is the most annoying arena in hockey.
  • Had a short conversation on Twitter last night with mleetch and gmanuelian about Mike Sauer. Sauer won't get any Calder buzz, but I would hate to think where the Rangers would be without him.
  • Martin Biron has quietly become one of the best free agent signings of the Sather era. For the most part, he has been steady as a rock. The Rangers are getting starting goaltending quality for backup goaltending money.
  • Rangers are 17-9-1 on the road, don't overlook the importance of that for a team that if they make the playoffs probably does it without home ice advantage.

Rangers vs Capitals recap

Rangers vs Capitals boxscore

Japers Rink