Kyle Wellwood: Worth looking into for the Rangers?

According to this afternoon's edition of Puck Daddy, former Maple Leaf and Canuck Kyle Wellwood has had his contract terminated by Atlant Mytishchi of the KHL. Presumably, he will look to resurrect his NHL career.

With Erik Christensen out for a while, Vinny Prospal maybe out forever, and Ryan Callahan also missing from the lineup, I think it might be worth seeing if the Rangers and Wellwood could be a fit.

For starters, Wellwood would help tremendously on face-offs, he is well over 50% on draws for his career, an area the Rangers can desperately use help in. He is decent offensively, 18 goals in 2008, and had 42 points in only 48 games in 2006. Plus, he is still only 27.

Of course, if Wellwood didn't have his "cons", he probably would not have had trouble finding an NHL job. He's not known for being physical, and the knock on him is he doesn't work hard enough. Probably the two worst qualities a hockey player can have, especially one that plays for John Tortorella.

Maybe Wellwood just needs a fresh start? Maybe after seeing how the KHL lives he will have a better appreciation for life as an NHL player? Maybe he needs a coach like John Tortorella who can push him? Maybe Wellwood can be the play-making center who brings Marian Gaborik out of his funk? Maybe I'm crazy?

Anyway, curious to hear your thoughts on this. Is Kyle Wellwood worth a shot?

Kyle Wellwood

Vancouver Canucks

5-10

181