Rangers Recap: Zuccarello and Lundqvist Lead Rangers to 2-1 Win Over Canes

Mats Zuccarello assisted on the Rangers first goal, and then notched his first NHL goal in overtime to lead the Rangers to a 2-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes tonight at Madison Square Garden.

Spirited first period by both teams, Rangers killed off two penalties, had the majority of the scoring chances (unofficially) but just couldn't bury the puck.

Cam Ward put on a clinic in the second period, making fourteen saves, several of them with the Rangers on a power play shooting from all angles. Ward was the difference in the second period, no doubt about it.

Nine minutes into the third, the Rangers finally broke through when Matt Gilroy picked up his third goal of the year, and ended a five-plus period goal scoring drought for the Blueshirts. Gilroy's goal came on a beautiful feed from Zuccarello, who seemed to be getting closer to his first NHL goal on every shift.  Gilroy now has four points in his last five games.

Eric Staal tied the game for the Canes with just over six minutes remaining after beating Brian Boyle on a faceoff. Eric, who you may or may not know is Marc Staal's brother (groan), played this game like Marc owed him money, taking numerous shots at Marc, including a couple that were definitely questionable.

Remember what I said before about Zuccarello? I wrote that as the game was going on. I left it in because at 3:09 of overtime, the Frodo from Modo connected to beat Cam Ward and send em' home happy. Congratulations to Mats Zuccarello on his first NHL goal.

Henrik Lundqvist was outstanding in this game, stopping thirty one shots, and was named the game's first star.

A big win for the Rangers tonight, with a roadie to Dallas and St. Louis over the weekend.

Marian Gaborik and Sean Avery were both tremendous in this game. Avery was flying all over the ice from the drop of the puck, and played well with Gabby when they were on the ice together.

Hope to see you guys tomorrow (Thursday) night on Blueshirt Banter Radio at 8 PM.

For more on the game, check out Canes Country

Hurricanes vs Rangers coverage

Hurricanes vs Rangers boxscore

Forgot username?

We'll email it to you.