New York Rangers at Dallas Stars: Open Game Thread

Rod Hockey Flashbacks

First game of a tough back to back roadie for the Rangers. Tonight its the Stars, who currently sit in first place in the Pacific Division, which is funny in itself because Dallas is closer to the Atlantic than it is to the Pacific, but this is no time for geography lessons, or realignment discussion.

Steve Ott and Sean Avery is a matchup to watch tonight, as Avery returns to Dallas.

Dallas is 10-2-1 against the Eastern Conference.

Stars Notes: (from Dallas Morning News)

The Stars placed Toby Petersen on IR on Thursday after he was hit on the back of his leg by a puck Tuesday at practice. They recalled D Philip Larsen from Texas (AHL). Larsen, 21, has 13 points in 29 games for the Texas Stars. He has played three games for Dallas this season and posted one assist. ...Stars LW Brenden Morrow has eight goals in his last 11 games. ...C Brad Richards ranks sixth in the NHL with 47 points in 41 games.

For more on the Stars, head over to Defending Big D

Last Time They Met: January 6th 2010: Sean Avery has a 4 point night against the Stars, and the Rangers win 5-2 at Madison Square Garden. Avery had this great quote after the game when asked what was different about the game: "Well, I was getting paid by two teams."

In case you've forgotten, the Rangers last trip to Dallas was the 10-2 debacle in February of 2009.

All Time: Rangers lead the series over the Stars franchise with a record of 68-37-22-1

See the picture I used on the thread? When I was a kid, one year for Christmas I got an NHL rod hockey game, and it came with the plastic players to put on the ice. Those were the two teams that came with mine, the Rangers and North Stars, in the jerseys pictured. I remember there was something wrong with the one I got, and my Dad had to take it back to Toys R Us, but I wouldn't let him take the players because I was afraid I wouldn't get the Rangers again. Good times.

Enjoy the game, Let's Go Rangers!