2011 New York Rangers Training Camp: Sean Avery And Erik Christensen Fighting For 13th Forward Spot

NEW YORK, NY - APRIL 17: (L-R) Brian Boyle #22 and Erik Christensen #26 of the New York Rangers celebrate after Christensen scored a second period goal against the Washington Capitals in Game Three of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals during the 2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on April 17, 2011 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

After the New York Rangers made their cuts yesterday, John Tortorella told the media that Erik Christensen and Sean Avery were currently fighting for a single spot on the starting roster. The spot? The 13th forward, or basically, the healthy scratch.

That means two things. 1) Mats Zuccarello has cemented his spot on the Rangers opening night roster. 2) Today's game against HC Slovan will go a long way in determining which of the two makes the cut.

Christensen was given a significant amount of time on the power play against Frolunda, and ended up scoring a goal. Avery also saw a good amount of ice time, but he got injured during the game and did not return. As of right now I would have to give the edge to Avery, but that can change with an impressive performance today.

The Rangers play at 11 a.m. this morning guys, so make sure to come back for the open game thread which will open at 10:30 a.m.

Thoughts on which player will step up today?