New York Rangers Recap: Rangers Down HC Slovan 4-1 In Slovakia

The New York Rangers remain undefeated during their European exhibition stint. The Rangers face off against HC Slovan today, and came away with a well deserved 4-1 win. The Rangers got into some penalty trouble early in the game, and gave up a goal on the penalty kill.

Both teams went into the locker rooms with HC Slovan up 1-0 after the first period of play. The second period was definitely much better for the Rangers, and the converted on their chances. The Rangers were given an early 5-on-3, and put on it's first unit of Zuccarello, Callahan, Dubinsky, Gaborik and Richards.

Great puck movement lead to the eventual goal by Mats Zuccarello, and a spectacular feed from Brad Richards. The vision of Richards on the powerplay, was in full effect. Just about a minute later, the Rangers converted on the powerplay once again, coming from Brian Boyle. Another series of nice passing, capping off with a Girardi pass to Boyle, put the Rangers up 2-1 in the second period.

Follow after the jump for more.

Artem Anisimov had himself a game to remember today, and it finally paid off with a shorthanded goal. Brandon Prust was hard on the forecheck, and forced the Slovan goalie to misplay the puck. He dug it out of the corner, and pass it to a WIDE open Anisimov in front of the net.

The Rangers didn't finish there, and added another goal coming from Ryan McDonagh. Ryan Callahan made a great play to gain the zone, and again Slovan left McDonagh WIDE open in the high slot.

Artem Anisimov and Mats Zuccarello both had great games today, and each scored a goal to top it off. Michael Del Zotto also played a very physical game, and made some key defensive plays. The Rangers didn't start the game off well, but gained full control the final two periods, and came away with the win.

Henrik Lundqvist also had another solid performance between the pipes, after coming off a win over his former Frolunda team. Brian Boyle was on the left wing of the Gaborik, and Richards line today, and held his own out there. Seems like Tortorella is testing out what will work better up front.

Also to note, Wojtek Wolski was no in the line-up today because of an apparent groin injury once again. We will follow up on that when we hear more.

The Rangers close out their pre-season and exhibition series tomorrow against EV Zug in Switzerland at 2:00 PM. We will have an open game thread starting at 1:30 PM, hope to see everyone there!