FanPost

Interactions between me and Islanders, Penguins, Devils and Flyers Fans.

We got some time between now and the game against Toronto thursday so I wanted to just write something relevant to Rangers fans today. The subject basically is when talking about hockey with other rival fans. I'll just talk about my experiences and feel free to share yours.

Devils Fans- Growing up on the border between NJ, meant I went to school with some Devils fans. The kids I grew up with were competitive when talking about the NJD NYR rivalry but were respectful. Now a days I occasionally read In Lou We Trust just to keep tabs on the Devils but it's pretty ridiculous some of the comments they make about the Rangers. Sure some Rangers fans are somewhat too disrespectful when it comes to talking about the Devils, but I think that some Devils fans take it too far more often than not. It just seems like now a days you can't have a productive argument about each team but that's just my experience.

islanders Fans- Sure there are some Islanders fans out there that are similar to the Devils fans I mentioned who you can't even have a productive conversation with, but overall I think a lot of the Isles fans I talk to are pretty courteous and realize the rivalry is all in good fun and have good opinions on hockey in general. I believe that Islanders fans realize the Rangers are getting better as a team just like we recognize that the Islanders are getting better with a solid young core of players. I recently commented on Light House Hockey about the Rangers and islanders and the rivalry and was pleased to see I wasn't publicly flogged for being a Rangers fan. I also managed to have a good back and forth between two Isles fans and was happy to have that because I always like talking to our rivals and seeing it through their perspective so long as it's productive.

Flyers Fans- I have never EVER had a good experience with them. Not once can I recall that I had a good conversation about hockey with them even if it has nothing to do with the Flyers and Rangers. I think it has to do with that entire city in general as I never had a good experience with Eagles or Phillies fans. Please if you ever had a good experience with one Philly fan please feel free to share it.

Penguins Fans-  These fans I've seen are the definition of bandwagon fans. They flocked to them after Lemiuex and they flocked back because of Crosby. Those are the ones I have met. I hope for the sake of hockey there good fans of the Penguins who aren't bandwagon ones. I'm sure they're out there I just have yet to meet one. I just hate the team and their fans because they lucked out tanking in the 80's to get Lemiuex, and they lucked out tanking to get the centerpieces of their franchise now getting Fluery, Crosby, Malkin and Staal. An Islanders fan said it perfectly and I quote "I absolutely cannot STAND the prevailing attitude of Pens fans in the last few years. And Pittsburgh fans have a VERY selective memory as to WTF they remember. Its like they have completely erased the years in which they sucked balls from their collective memories." No truer words have been spoken.

I know some visitors of this site are not Rangers fans and to those people I just want to say I am just going off on past experiences and I'm sure there are fans out there like me who like to talk to the rivals and have productive conversations on hockey. Sorry about the rant about the Pens and their tanking I just felt it's something I had to get off my chest.