Breaking News: Christian Thomas Suspended For Ten Games

NEWARK, NJ - SEPTEMBER 23: Christian Thomas #58 of the New York Rangers skates against the New Jersey Devils during a rookie game at the Prudential Center on September 23, 2011 in Newark, New Jersey. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The Ontario Hockey League released a statement, noting that Christian Thomas has been suspended for ten games. Thomas was assessed a five minute major, and a game misconduct on the play. Looking at the video, it did not look like there was any intent to injure.

Thomas was on his back in front of the crease, and swung around, which resulted in his stick hitting the opposing player in the face. There was also no serious injury to the opposing player, as he returned later in the game. The face that the player was not seriously hurt on the play, makes me wonder why the suspension was so long.

For those of you interested in viewing the video, you can do so by click this link. It seems as if this may significantly hurt Thomas' chances of making the Canadian under 20 roster, for the World Junior Championships. We will have more on this story as it develops.