New York Rangers Breaking News: Rangers claim Jeff Woywitka Off Waivers From Montreal

According to reports, the New York Rangers have claimed defenseman Jeff Woywitka off of waivers from the Montreal Canadiens. The 28-year-old Canadian born defensemen has played with Brad Richards when both were in Dallas.

With the addition of Woywitka, the Rangers have some options now as they have nine active defensemen on the roster. My prediction is that one of, if not both, Brendan Bell and Stu Bickel are reassigned to the minors after the two European games this weekend.

For those wondering, Woywitka's cap hit is $650,000 against the Rangers cap, with Montreal paying half of his salary.

This also puts an end to any speculation of Paul Mara signing with the Rangers, despite rumors circulating that the Rangers were looking at him as a replacement while Marc Staal is out. Woywitka also brings a veteran presence to the locker room, something the Rangers were looking for with Mara, at a much cheaper price.

Thoughts guys?