New York Rangers News: Stu Bickel Assigned To Connecticut, Woywitka Flying To Sweden

PHILADELPHIA, PA - SEPTEMBER 26: Stu Bickel #41 of the New York Rangers checks Wayne Simmonds #17 of the Philadelphia Flyers during an NHL preseason game at Wells Fargo Center on September 26, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers announced today that Stu Bickel has been assigned to the Connecticut Whale, of the American Hockey League. Bickel remained on the roster, following the Rangers completion of the pre-season, but being that Jeff Woywitka was claimed off of waivers today, Bickel had to be sent down.

Along with that, Jeff Woywitka is flying out this evening to Sweden, to meet up with the Rangers before tomorrow's opening game. There was no word if Woywitka would be in the line-up tomorrow, but my guess is that it is highly unlikely. Tim Erixon got the call and will most likely be starting tomorrow afternoon, barring any Tortorella-esque changes.

With that being said, we can officially call it hockey season once again. Tonight the NHL opens it's doors on it's 95th season. The Rangers kick-off their season tomorrow afternoon, starting at 1:00 PM against the Los Angeles Kings. This game can be seen on both Versus, and MSG.

We hope to see everyone tomorrow, and join us in our game thread starting tomorrow at 12:30 PM. Also, be sure to check out the season preview brought to you by Brandon. Let's Go Rangers!!!

SB Nation Featured Video