New York Rangers News: Mats Zuccarello Fined $2,500

Mats Zuccarello was fined by the NHL today for his hit on Los Angeles Kings forward Kyle Clifford.

Zuccarello was called for boarding 3:05 into the first period of the opening game today, and apparently the hit was over the top.

The play was only called a minor, but it looks like the NHL bosses think it was more than just a minor penalty.

Zuccarello barely played during the rest of the game, not even playing a full ten minutes for the New York Rangers. Dustin Brown argued that the hit should have been a major, but the refs didn't buy it.

Expect this to be the first of many penalties leading to fines and/or suspensions for the Rangers. I'm not accusing the NHL of favoring other teams, but instead noting that the NHL is cracking down on all kinds of hits and penalties. When I think of a player being fined, Zuccarello is not the first guy that comes to mind.

More to come.