The Tale of Michael Del Zotto And How It Affects Tim Erixon

VANCOUVER, CANADA - OCTOBER 18: Goalie Henrik Lundqvist #30 of the New York Rangers is congratulated by teammate Tim Erixon #53 after shutting out the Vancouver Canucks during NHL action on October 18, 2011 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. (Photo by Rich Lam/Getty Images)

As many of you may know, I am a big fan of the Rangers' young defensemen. Michael Del Zotto is my favorite player, and Ryan McDonagh is quickly working his way up the list as well.

McDonagh found a way to stick in the NHL once he was promoted, but Michael Del Zotto was a different story. Del Zotto almost was able to stay in the NHL, but was demoted after sub-par play in the NHL. Del Zotto quickly got injured during his time with the Connecticut Whale, and his season ended.

When Del Zotto returned this season, the expectations were low. Del Zotto has so far quieted the majority of his critics, thanks to outstanding play in the early part of this season.

Tim Erixon was demoted after a shaky few games in the NHL this season. Erixon has so far started to fit in with the Whale, and has received extra coaching help and veteran advice from Mother Whale Wade Redden.

If Erixon can follow the Del Zotto path to the NHL, you can expect to see an improved Tim Erixon either this season, or starting with the Rangers next season.