FanPost

The Sophmore Season

I wanted to talk about Derek Stepan and his second go around in the NHL. Obviously off to a great start, Stepan is currently on pace for a 52 point season, which is an improvement upon his 45 point rookie outing. He also had a great hotstreak connecting with Gabby for 7 points (2G, 5A) in 3 games. Derek has never looked really like a rookie out there, he certainly seems more confident out there.

Join me after the jump for more.

He has had no problem keeping up with elite talent like Gaborik, which means he is also playing against the top defenders. It's interesting to take note that Stepan centered Gaborik last season for a few games, and it didn't work all that well. He is seeing more PP time, Averaging way more ice time at around almost 19:00. However, his 45% face off is  still worst on the team.

Do you see him keeping up this pace and hitting the 50 point mark?
Will he stay on the top line with gabby or will Richards rise to take his place?