The Noon Number: 17

MONTREAL, CANADA - NOVEMBER 19: Carey Price #31 of the Montreal Canadiens stops the puck in front of Artem Anisimov #42 and Erik Christensen #40 of the New York Rangers during the NHL game at the Bell Centre on November 19, 2011 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The Canadiens defeated the Rangers 4-0. (Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

You probably could have guessed where this Noon Number was coming from. In the New York Rangers' 4-0 loss to the Montreal Canadiens the Rangers only managed 17 shots on net. Through the first two periods of the defeat, New York only managed 10 shots.

That might not be too far off the shot mark the Rangers had during their winning streak, but it was the chances that hurt. There were a few genuine chances in the first period, but Cary Price stoned both Ryan Callahan and Marian Gaborik. Callahan got another good look on the power play, but aside from a few other isolated incidents the Rangers' offense just wasn't there.

Against the Panthers, the Rangers need to use their speed to their advantage. The Canadiens moved the puck around the ice and the Rangers, who looked very slow in the contest, couldn't catch up to them.

It's not just about more shots though. You can take 100 bad angle shots and never score a goal, and then take one good shot and put it into the back of the net. It's all about creating chances. With that being said, shots create chances, and the Rangers didn't have much of either against Montreal.

Hopefully that changes against Florida.