Rangers Vs. Penguins: Rangers Earn Big Win Over Pittsburgh Penguins

The New York Rangers earned their third straight victory, with a 4-3 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Brad Richards lead the way for the Rangers with a goal and two assists. Henrik Lundqvist also back stopped the Rangers after a long night on the penalty kill.

Sean Avery and Tyler Kennedy got into a scuffle just 16 seconds in the game, and received matching roughing penalties. As soon as the two came out of the box, they dropped the gloves once again. Avery got in a few good shots, and it absolutely electrified MSG. After multiple penalty kills in the first period, the Rangers weren't able to fight off James Neal. Sidney Crosby made a great pass over to Neal, who buried it blocker side on Lundqvist.

After a mediocre first period, the Rangers came out strong in the second period. On the Penguins first penalty of the second period, Ryan Callahan cashed in with his 9th goal of the season. Marian Gaborik made an incredible pass over the Callahan, who tapped it under the sprawling Marc-Andre Fleury. Just six minutes later, John Mitchell gave the Rangers a 2-1 lead, with a great wrist shot from the circles. Carl Hagelin registered his third point in the last three games, assisting on the Mitchell goal.

Follow after the jump for more.

Brad Richards made it 3-1, just over a minute later with a laser of a shot that found the top right corner. Richards can be very dangerous when given room in the slot, as we saw with his goal tonight, just a pure snipe. The Rangers were sent to the power play once again, with just under two minutes left in the second period. Michael Del Zotto made a great cross-ice feed to Gaborik, who was sitting on the doorstep, that made it 4-1 Rangers.

Ryan Callahan took a late penalty, after a hard check in the corner. On the delayed penalty the Penguins rushed down ice, and Malkin tapped it into the empty net with just seconds remaining in the second period.

Things got a little tight in the third period as Pascal Dupuis scored just three minutes in to erase the Rangers three goal lead to a goal. The Rangers had a big kill in the third period after Ryan McDonagh was penalized for holding the stick.

The Penguins handed the Rangers three straight, late power play opportunities. They had two 5-on-3's, but they were unable to convert, despite having a few good chances. With Fleury pulled, Marian Gaborik broke down the ice, and somehow shot it wide of the empty net. It looked as if the puck was on edge, and Gabby didn't realize how much time was left.

The Rangers went on to win their third straight game, over very, very tough Eastern Conference opponents. With this win, it puts the Rangers three points behind Pittsburgh for the division lead, with four less games played. The Rangers will be back in action on Thursday when they face the Carolina Hurricanes in Carolina. I will leave you with tonight's three stars, the Broadway Hat recipient, and the game highlights as well.

Game Hightlights: