Bantering Points: The Marc Staal Situation

RALEIGH NC - JANUARY 30: (EDITORS NOTE: A special effects camera filter was used for this image.) Marc Staal #18 of the New York Rangers for Team Staal poses for a portrait before the 58th NHL All-Star Game at RBC Center on January 30 2011 in Raleigh North Carolina. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers are without their best defenseman and Alternate Captain, Marc Staal. There is no timetable for Staal's return, so the Rangers have started to look at outside options.

The Rangers already brought in Jeff Woywitka from the Montreal Canadiens, and also given Tim Erixon, Brendan Bell, and Steve Eminger playing time they would not normally receive.

If not for the fantastic play of Ryan McDonagh, the under appreciated improvement of Michael Del Zotto, and the return of Michael Sauer, the Rangers may be in a situation now where they have to make a big trade.

Luckily, though, the Rangers have Daniel Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Michael Sauer, and Michael Del Zotto playing top two line quality hockey. Steve Eminger is having a surprisingly not bad start to his season, as well.

Still, the Rangers have offered a deal to Anton Stralman. The Rangers also talked to the Toronto Maple Leafs about trade possibilities, although it is not clear if the talks were about defensemen.

So, do the Rangers need to go out and trade for anyone, or should they continue to try to fill the defensive hole from within? An Anton Stralman signing would be a good move, if you ask me, but a trade for a top line defenseman is not necessary.

Meanwhile, Blue Seat Blogs asks how much you would pay Ryan McDonagh. Thoughts?

I will be at the game tonight, Let's Go Rangers!