Bobby Ryan Trade Rumors: What It Would Cost To Get Him

For the past few days I have seen more and more questions, comments and posts on the availability of Anaheim Ducks forward Bobby Ryan.

Now, I'm not trying to add to the rumors that are already swirling around, Larry Brooks did that for me. Brooks tweeted yesterday that Glen Sather has already kicked the tires on Ryan.

Re Rangers and Ryan: could be proverbial "tire-kicking," could be more, but NYR wouldn't deal Stepan or McDonagh, among those off limits

Source: Rangers have had preliminary talks with Anaheim about Bobby Ryan, level of interest, ability to make deal unclear...

The Ducks are rumored to want a young defenseman, a young forward along with some NHL talent to fill in right now. It might seem like a high cost, but 24-year-old players who have three 30-goal seasons under their belts don't come around very often.

Join me after the jump for more.

Before we really get into what prospects the Rangers would need to shell out to make a play at Ryan we need to look at the NHL-ready talent. Players like Derek Stepan, Artem Anisimov, Michael Sauer and Ryan McDonagh should all be off limits. Brooks only mentions Stepan and McDonagh, but the Rangers can't afford to part with Sauer or Anisimov either.

The logical choice would be Brandon Dubinsky. Both have similar contracts (Dubinsky has a cap hit of $4.2 million while Ryan comes in at $5.1 million), both are currently struggling (10 points for Dubinsky, 11 for Ryan) and they are around the same age (Ryan is 24, Dubinsky is 25).

The prospects is a little trickier. I don't see Tim Erixon going anywhere (the kid had nine points in 10 games in the AHL) and I would think the Rangers don't want to give up Chris Kreider. But guys like Christian Thomas, Mats Zuccarello, Ryan Bourque or even Carl Hagelin might be on the block.

The Rangers have a plethora of young defenseman available, but I will say that the Ducks probably don't want Michael Del Zotto. They have a young offensive defenseman in Cam Fowler, although I'm sure the Rangers wouldn't be totally against moving him if the Ducks really wanted him.

I know those are names you don't want to give up but, like I said above, 24-year-old, three-time 30-goal scorers don't come around very often. Plus, you need to give something to get something in this league.

So what are your thoughts guys? Is Ryan worth the price?