Weekly Whale Recap: The Beginning

A new weekly feature that I will be running here is the "Weekly Whale Recap." If you have a better name for it (The Wade Redden Chronicles is not a good name for it) please let me know.

Rather than starting by recapping this past week, let me catch you up on the current Connecticut Whale season.

The Whale are 7-2-1, leading their division by two points. Cam Talbot and Chad Johnson have been splitting time in net, with Johnson having a 2.22 GAA, and Talbot having a 2.29 GAA.

Connecticut was sparked early on by brilliant play by Kris Newbury, who tallied four goals in the first four games. Newbury, however, is not the team leader in the main statistics. That honor belongs to Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, with five goals, six assists, and eleven points, all team highs.

Join me after the jump for some notes about the prospects in Connecticut.

Carl Hagelin has gotten off to a scorching start, scoring four, assisting four, and totaling a plus minus of eight.

Pavel Valentenko has only played in six games, and has assisted on two goals. With only four penalty minutes and a plus minus of one, expect to hear more from Valentenko in the future.

Tim Erixon has struggled in his early time in Connecticut. Erixon is taking the Del Zotto route back to the NHL, but hopefully that route does not include any injury, like Del Zotto's did. My guess is Erixon will work his way back to the NHL this season.

Now that you are caught up on the season so far, expect weekly updates from now on.