Mike Rupp Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery, Expected To Miss 4-6 Weeks

The New York Rangers announced today that forward Mike Rupp had successful knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus, earlier today. However, Rupp is now expected to miss at least four to six weeks before returning to the line-up.

Mike Rupp registered a total of one goal, and 14 penalty minutes in seven games this season for the Rangers. He has missed the last six games due to his knee injury, in which he had just received surgery on. With the absence of Rupp, it seems as if Sean Avery will have to take over the tough guy role for the next month or so. He will also have the opportunity to show that he belongs on the New York Rangers.

Follow after the jump for the official New York Rangers press release.

MIKE RUPP UNDERGOES SUCCESSFUL KNEE SURGERY

Expected to be Sidelined Four to Six Weeks

New York, November 9, 2011 – New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that forward Mike Rupp underwent successful surgery earlier today to repair a torn meniscus in his knee, and is expected to be sidelined four to six weeks.  The procedure was performed by Dr. Andrew Feldman at the NYU Langone Medical Center Hospital for Joint Diseases in Manhattan.

Rupp, 31, has registered one goal and 14 penalty minutes in seven games this season.  He has missed the last six games due to injury.  Rupp is tied for second on the team with two fighting majors.  He tallied his first point as a Ranger with the game-winning goal on October 18 at Vancouver, and made his Rangers debut in the season opener on October 7 against the Los Angeles Kings in Stockholm, Sweden.  The nine-year NHL veteran skated in his 500th career NHL contest on October 15 at Long Island.