New York Rangers News: Michael Sauer Placed On IR

NEW YORK, NY - DECEMBER 05: Trainer Jim Ramsey leads Michael Sauer #38 of the New York Rangers off teh ice after a hit by Dion Phaneuf #3 (not shown) at Madison Square Garden on December 5, 2011 in New York City. The Leafs defeated the Rangers 4-2. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers have announced that defenseman Michael Sauer has been placed on the injury reserve. Sauer suffered a concussion back on December 5th, against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Dion Phaneuf hit Sauer with a huge, but clean check, resulting in Sauer's helmet coming off and hitting his head on the boards.

This is yet another huge blow to the Rangers line-up, as they are already without Marc Staal for some time as well. Sauer was considered a tough presence on the Rangers blue line, and was a cornerstone to the Rangers defensive corps this season.

Earlier today, the Rangers recalled defenseman Tim Erixon from the Connecticut Whale. There was speculation that it could be Jeff Woywitka or Anton Stralman sitting out in his presence. However, it seems as if Erixon will be up for Michael Sauer, who will not be back for some time.

We will continue to update as we hear it.