New York Rangers News: New York Rangers Recall Stu Bickel

PHILADELPHIA, PA - SEPTEMBER 26: Stu Bickel #41 of the New York Rangers checks Wayne Simmonds #17 of the Philadelphia Flyers during an NHL preseason game at Wells Fargo Center on September 26, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers have announced that they have recalled defenseman Stu Bickel, from the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League. Bickel was recalled on an emergency basis, due to the recent injury to Steve Eminger last night in Phoenix.

Steve Eminger went down last night, after a hard body check along the boards. Eminger left the game, and did not return later in game due to a separate shoulder. John Tortorella stated after that game that Eminger will be out for a while.

Bickel meanwhile, currently has one goal, and three assists in 27 games this season with the Connecticut Whale this season. Many people were wondering why Tim Erixon was not recalled, and that is due to cap restrictions. With Mike Rupp be activated off of the LTIR last night, the Rangers are up tight against the cap and do not have the room to recall Erixon.

Follow after the jump for the official New York Rangers press release.

NEW YORK RANGERS TRANSACTION UPDATE
Stu Bickel Recalled from Connecticut

New York, December 18, 2011 – New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that defenseman Stu Bickel has been recalled from the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League (AHL) on an emergency basis.

Bickel, 25, has recorded two points (one goal and one assist) and a plus-two rating in the last four games. In 27 games with Connecticut this season, he has registered one goal and three assists, along with 80 penalty minutes and a plus-four rating. His plus-four rating is tied for third on the team. Bickel recorded his first shorthanded point of the season with an assist on Friday vs. Bridgeport.

The Chanhassen, Minnesota native was acquired by the Rangers from Anaheim in exchange for Nigel Williams on November 23, 2010. He was originally signed by the Ducks as an undrafted free agent on July 2, 2008.