Rangers Vs. Lightning: Keys To The Game

The New York Rangers are looking to win five games in a row tonight when they take on the Tampa Bay Lightning. It would be the first five-game winning streak since they had a seven-game winning streak in November.

The Rangers are fresh off a 5-3 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes while the Lightning are coming off a 4-2 loss to the Detroit Red WIngs.

Shut Down Stamkos: Steven Stamkos is one of the NHL's premiere goal scorers, and already has 16 goals to his name this season. Stamkos os absolutely lethal around the net, and if you give him space in the offensive zone, more often than not the puck ends up in the back of the net. The Rangers' defenseman need to be sure they have an eye on Stamkos at all times tonight, because if you lose him for even a second he can make you pay.

Win The Special Teams Battle: The Lightning are 18th in the NHL on the power play and 14th on the penalty kill. The Rangers have a similar power play (20th) and a better penalty kill (9th). If the Rangers stay out of the box and convert on the power play the way they have the past two games, then they should be able to win the special teams battle.

Join me after the jump for more keys.

Keep The Offense Going: The Rangers had 14 different players hit the scoresheet in New York's victory over the Hurricanes. Five different Rangers scored goals, and they scored both at even strength and on the power play. The Rangers are getting goals from their defense as well, which is helping spread out the attack, and makes the team harder to defend as a whole.

Confidence Is Up, Keep It There: The Rangers are a confident team right now, and it's helping them win tight games. That confidence needs to keep growing, and it grows every time the Rangers earn a big win. The Rangers need to come out ready to play tonight and put together a solid effort against a tough opponent. The Lightning have weapons all over the ice, and the Rangers need to be ready for them. But New York has some weapons of its own who have proven themselves already.